Sunday, May 22, 2011

Wk 3 Reading: Art of Possiblity Chapters 5-8

In reading chapters 5-8 I was reminded of a saying that I heard my father say many times. I was born and raised in Haiti and didn't move to the US until I was fifteen. It is hard to describe, at least in a brief blog post, what it was like growing up in an amazing country like Haiti but the famous saying that my father was so fond of was simple and powerful, much like the Art of Possiblity.

In Haiti, there are three things you need in order to survive: The first thing is patience. The second thing is patience, and the third thing is patience.

I can honestly say that those three rules have served me well in life. In my job as a trainer I have to deal with many frustrating situations and I often have to remind myself that I must be patient and I also don't need to take myself so seriously. When I do that, even the toughest situations become just a mere bump in the road. I also find that when I am at ease and comfortable no matter what the situation it helps others to relax as well.

These chapters, to me, built upon the first four chapters beautifully. I truly enjoy the Zanders writing style and powerful anecdotes. They bring the book to life and keep it light and entertaining.

My favorite quote from this reading comes from page 89:
I agree completely that rule 6 has this snowball affect. As people "let go" it becomes easier for others to realize that it's ok for them to follow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment