Thursday, May 5, 2011

Wk 1 Free Choice

I wanted to use this free choice post to write about a few of the most powerful tools I have found to help me be a better teacher, trainer, and technology guide.


The tools, in no particular order:

Twitter:
At first I didn't get Twitter, but after some reading and research it has become one of the most powerful resources I have ever had access to. At just about anytime of any day, I can log on and have access to tons of resources, helpers, guides, experts in just about any field; and that is all within minutes. I can ask for help post my blog and get lots of new readers from around the world, find teachers to collaborate with, offer assistance to those that might need help, and so much more. Unfortunately Twitter is now blocked in my district (it wasn't until recently), something I am working on getting remedied as soon as possible.


Twitter for educators - New to Twitter? Start here.
Twitter for teachers - go here to find people to follow.
My Twitter - Follow me if you like.


Netvibes:
Netvibes is similar to iGoogle, Pageflakes, or any other start page (sometimes called portal sites). I like Netvibes because of it's design and user interface and how simple it is to add things to your pages or tabs. As I find interesting people on Twitter I add their blog to my Netvibes page and then I can read multiple blogs all within that tab. It is a great RSS reader. You can also setup public pages to share multiple resources with people - so much nicer than sending a bunch of links. (ex. My public pages)


Evernote:
Evernote is a very powerful note-taking tool with powerful web components. It has a great app for your smart phone and website that allow you to take a picture and save it (more on this in a second), record and audio note, save a text note, and take clippings from the web. The greatest part is that you can easily organize your content and find things easily. A really cool feature is the ability to search for text in photos that you save. For example, you save a photo with some text on it and 6 months later you search through all your notes for a specific topic, Evernote will find that text even if it is only in your pictures. Very cool! I love the iPhone app, so simple to use and so easy to get to your notes anywhere, anytime. They are beginning to add extra functionality to Evernote by letting other tools and apps interact with it, some great potential here.

Dropbox:
Another awesome tool that I don't think I could do without now that I have gotten so used to it. Simply put, Dropbox is a virtual jump drive. You get 2GB of storage for free, but as an educator (just go to dropbox.com/edu after you sign up to get more space) you get even more benefits. Once installed, you get a dropbox folder on your computer that you can sync with your other computers, smartphones, tablets, laptops, or any internet connected device. If you get people to sign up with your referral you get 500mb of extra space - non educators only get 250mb (take that!). I have 20GB of free space from using this feature. 20GB!!!  Such a cool service, and so simple to setup. Once you start using it, you will love it.

Dropbox for educators - great blog post with tons, and I mean TONS, of resources for teachers to really get the most out of the service.

Ok, those are just 4 of the great tools that I could not live without. I have many others, but these are the ones I highly recommend. What tools would be on your list? Leave a comment and let me know what tools you can't live without.

3 comments:

  1. Twitter, Netvibes, and Dropbox are definitely in my top list of webtools I can't live without. Incidentally, you introduced me to all of them! Another favorite is Diigo - another recommendation of yours - because it let's me organize my collection of websites and categorize them any way I want to by tags. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been using Dropbox in conjunction with uPad on my iPad. This is an awesome combination of tools. A personal goal of mine is to go "paperless". I am constantly searching for tools that will help me accomplish this. Just last night, I uploaded a presentation to Dropbox, opened the presentation on my iPad using uPad, made handwritten notes on the document, and presented from my iPad at a meeting. Thanks, Jim, for introducing me to both Dropbox and uPad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I agree with Diigo being another great service and I am really liking uPad for note taking on the iPad also.

    Glad I could show you something helpful.

    ReplyDelete